5 things you did not know about the MNTB
The Merchant Navy Training Board (MNTB) is the shipping industry’s central body for promoting and developing seafarer education, training and skills.
Working closely with a range of ship management companies, nautical educational establishments, seafarer trade unions and others, the MNTB aims to deliver skilled seafarers to the Merchant Navy and the wider shipping industry both now and in the future by ensuring the best training is delivered by the best organisations to create the best seafarers.
Here are five things you might not know about the MNTB:
- The MNTB has existed for 85 year
- Every UK qualified seafarer has gone through an MNTB approved training program
- The MNTB Board is made up of employers, educationalists and unions
- The MNTB runs the Careers at Sea programme which promotes the variety of jobs and roles available to new entrants into the Merchant Navy
- The MNTB approves UK delivered cadet training programmes.
- The MNTB awards special recognition to training establishments that deliver gold standard training both nationally and internationally
The UK Chamber of Shipping is the home of the Merchant Navy Training Board. The Chamber, which has nearly 200 members, is the voice of UK shipping.
A recent report showed that the UK shipping industry employs over 180,000 people and brings in nearly £19bn a year to the economy.